Rare Wyeth print donated to Lighthouse Museum

Bob and Jay Sierer (center) present the signed Wyeth print to Diana Bolton, Chairman, and Nat Lyon, Curator, of the Marshall Point Lighthouse Museum.

This past December Robert and Betsy Webber donated a rare, signed Andrew Wyeth print entitled “Marshall Point Light” to the Marshall Point Lighthouse Museum committee in honor of Bob and Jaye Sierer for their longtime service and dedication to the museum. The Sierers made the presentation on behalf of Robert and Betsy Webber.

Betsy’s mother, Elsie Lowell Green, originally purchased the print at Senter-Crane Department Store in Rockland, Maine in 1940. Elsie and Andrew Wyeth became friends while spending summers on Horse Point Road in Port Clyde. Their friendship lasted many years and in 2004 Andrew Wyeth signed the print for Elsie.

Andrew Wyeth painted the original watercolor in the 1930s, while still in his twenties. In 1940 Ketterlinus Printing Company of Philadelphia, which also printed works by his father, N. C. Wyeth, printed a calendar which contained the “Marshall Point Light” print. It is believed to be one of the first Wyeth watercolors to be released as a print. Not long after the production of the calendar Ketterlinus lost its building to fire, which destroyed most of the Wyeth calendars. Few remain and the print that was donated to Marshall Point Lighthouse Museum may be the only known signed print of “Marshall Point Light”.

The signed Andrew Wyeth print will be on display when the museum opens to the public in the spring of 2017.

PHOTO: Laura Betancourt

Print Friendly

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *